Last week Dr. Dre and Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor announced a new venture called Beats Music, which is a Spotify-like music subscription service. Beats Music’s enhanced search tools and pricing models look appealing, but I’m more fascinated with the picture that accompanied the New York Times article about its upcoming launch.
1) Trent Reznor’s in the middle, Dr. Dre’s at the far right, and they both are smiling! For two men that have spent decades years frowning in music videos, this is a bit of a surprise.
2) Reznor is the Chief Creative Officer. As he is constantly releasing records, this new day job will probably not slow down the next Nine Inch Nails album. Dre is the co-Chairman. As he is also the CEO of Beats Electronics (aka the billion-dollar premium headphones company), his Detox album that he announced in back in 2002 is sooooo not coming out now.
3) If you turned on your local hiphop or alternative rock radio station, and removed all the songs that were influenced by these guys over the last 25 years, you would hear silence. Even the commercials are sonically similar to their work.
4) Reznor hated his previous label Interscope Records because they interfered with his music. After label head Jimmy Iovine commissioned an “urban-friendly” Timbaland remix of Nine Inch Nails’ “The Hand That Feeds”, Reznor heard it and said:
Guess who’s sitting in-between Renzor and Dre in this picture? Interscope Records label head Jimmy Iovine, who is also the co-Chairman of Beats Music. He is also smiling.
5) I bet Dre noticed this and tried to razz Reznor about it during the photo session, kinda like this:
Yo Trent, I bet it’s hella awkward hanging out with Jimmy, with all your past beefs.
It’s sort of like like having a child with your ex, even though your ex had a child with your old hated boss. Know what I mean?
(highly aware that he had a child with his ex, who then had a child with Suge Knight, Dre’s old hated boss)
Um..that ain’t funny motherfu-
On three! One, two….